Clifford & Morris



Clifford & Morris

Fleet Street, Dunedin

This advertising carte de visite for Clifford & Morris provided courtesy of 
Smiths Bookshop Tannery Emporium, 3 Garlands Road, Woolston, Christchurch 8023.
http://www.smithsbookshop.co.nz/bookshop/


























 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Mrs G. G. Sanders (?)









 
 


 



 





 
 



 

 
 



 
 

 
 



Royal Arcade, Dunedin
The completion of the shops on the newly erected side of Fleet street, or as it is now called "the Royal Arcade," is being rapidly pushed on under the personal supervision of Mr Farley. The total length of the Arcade is 330 feet, and as it is now asphalted from one side to another, a width of 30 feet, and is roofed over, it is in its improved condition a place where one may agreeably go a-shopping, or enjoy a promenade. Altogether, including the buildings at the corners, there are 31 shops in the Arcade.

Midway from each end a three storey erection rises extending over the pathway. This tall building is being fitted up as a photographic gallery for Messrs Clifford and Morris, and as it is roofed with glass and rises above the surrounding buildings its lighting cannot by any circumstance be injured. The shops on the newly built side have each a basement floor for storing and unpacking goods, an accommodation which those occupying them will appreciate, and in the rear of them, there is a passage leading to the street.

Adding to hotels has been for some time the order of the day in Dunedin, and the Arcade corner building, next to the Bull and Mouth, has now been mads part ef the latter hotel, and will be used as a bar. It is intended to have a grand opening of "the Royal Arcade" on Monday night next, on which occasion there is to be a promenade concert, the proceeds of which will be for the benefit of the Benevolent Institution.
Otago Daily Times, Issue 4266, 20 October 1875, Page 2




The following photographs will date to after February 1876 when Clifford and Morris moved to the Royal Arcade.










 






































































































































after this point the word "Artists" was dropped from the reverse of the photographs.
















































No comments: