Wanganui Herald, Volume IV, Issue 913, 21 July 1870, Page 3
(this notice continued in the Wanganui Herald until 22 August 1870)
Photography.— We notice that Mr G. H. Daley has prolonged his stay in Wanganui for a limited time, previous to a tour of New Zealand for a collection of views. We have been shown a quantity of portraits of the townspeople, taken in a style worthy of the best Melbourne artistes, and indeed those anxious to have their faces and forms perpetuated should lose no time in visiting the studio.
Wanganui Herald, Volume IV, Issue 959, 13 September 1870, Page 2
Wanganui Herald, Volume IV, Issue 966, 21 September 1870, Page 3
A new photographic studio has been opened lately in Cuba-street, and bids fair to enjoy a considerable share of the public patronage and support. It is called "The Photographic Institute," and the proprietors are Messrs. Davis and Co., late from the establishment of Messrs. Johnston, O'Shanassy, (sic) and Co., the celebrated Melbourne artists.
Messrs. Davis and Co. have an exceedingly convenient studio, furnished with all the newest appliances, including some greatly improved cameras, and possessing especial advantages in the arrangement of the light, which enables portraits to be taken from any aspect at the option of the sitters.
Although Messrs. Davis and Co. have been but a short time in business here, they already have produced some excellent local portraits, some being in a novel variety of what is known as the "Rembrandt" style of carte. The Photographic Institute promises to be highly popular.
Evening Post, Volume XIII, 3 February 1876, Page 2
"Bill Mathews friend of Grannys"
Evening Post, Volume XIV, Issue 144, 16 December 1876, Page 2
Evening Post, Volume XV, Issue 20, 25 January 1877, Page 3
Evening Post, Volume XV, Issue 26, 1 February 1877, Page 2
Evening Post, Volume XV, Issue 55, 7 March 1877, Page 2
Captain Moss acknowledges with thanks tho receipt of £2 2s from Mr. Davis, photographer, Lambton Quay, for the members of both brigades, as a slight recognition of their valuable services at the late fire.
Evening Post, Volume XV, Issue 217, 15 September 1877, Page 2
We have been favored by Messrs. Davis and Co., photographers, of Cuba-street and Lambton Quay with an admirable enamelled medallion cabinet photograph of the Featherston Memorial Bust, now erected in the Museum and photographed by permission of Dr. Hector. It is an excellent work of art, and doubtless will be very acceptable to the many friends of the late Dr. Featherston, who will be sure to value such a speaking likeness. The photograph is one of the finest of its kind which yet has come under our notice, and we are certain that copies will be eagerly sought after.
Evening Post, Volume XV, Issue 223, 22 September 1877, Page 2
Evening Post, Volume xv, Issue 257, 1 November 1877, Page 2 (this notice first appeared in the Evening Post on 25 September 1877)
Evening Post, Volume XVI, Issue 41, 30 January 1878, Page 3
The presentation to Mr. Edward Reeves, late wharfinger to the City Council, mentioned by anticipation in our last issue, took place at the wharf office yesterday afternoon. The officers and other employees, twenty in number, assembled, and Mr. Kennedy as spokesman, presented Mr. Reeves with their photographs surrounding one of Mr. Reeves himself, in a handsome frame. The photographs were token by Mr. Davis, of Cuba-street...
Evening Post, Volume XVI, Issue 52, 13 February 1878, Page 2
Evening Post, Volume XVI, Issue 88, 27 March 1878, Page 3
Evening Post, Volume XVI, Issue 208, 2 September 1878, Page 2
Evening Post, Volume XVI, Issue 288, 5 December 1878, Page 3
Evening Post, Volume XVI, Issue 288, 5 December 1878, Page 3
Evening Post, Issue 535, 13 June 1879, Page 1
Davis and Co., photographic artists, have just completed a life sized
photograph of Mr. Godber, father of Mr. James Godber, of this city. It
was taken from a group which was photographed at one of the annual
gatherings of the Dixon family on the Basin Reserve. The picture
reflects great credit on the artists.
Evening Post, Volume XVII, Issue 548, 28 June 1879, Page 2
Evening Post, Volume XVIII, Issue 19, 22 July 1879, Page 2
Evening Post, Volume XX, Issue 274, 23 November 1880, Page 4
Davis & Co.
died 24 July 1906 at his residence "L'Aroona" Chapel Street, St Kilda, Melbourne - husband of Caroline Louisa Davis The Argus (Melbourne, Vic.), 26 July 1906, page 1
1875/13558 Davis Albert Rayment Florence Margaret Timothy Joseph 1877/15654 Davis Florence Sylvia Florence Margurette Timothy Joseph
Timothy Joseph DAVIS, son of James DAVIS (1809-1907) and Sarah PALSER (1804-1854), was born in 1850 in Bristol, Gloucestershire, England.1,2 He was an artist .3 He married Caroline Louisa Susannah NEWMAN in 1891 when she was 26 in Alphington, Victoria.4 He married Florence HAYWARD in Bristol. He died aged 55 on 24 July 1906 at "L'Aroona" Chapel Street, St Kilda, Victoria .5,6 He was buried on 26 July 1906 at the Baptist Section, Melbourne General Cemetery, Victoria . He shares grave 424 with a Thomas Hooper who died in 1886.7
Caroline Louisa Susannah NEWMAN was the daughter of Thomas NEWMAN (1839-1869) and Susannah Victoria WEBB (1840-1917). She and Timothy Joseph DAVIS had the following children: Dorothy Eileen Victoria DAVIS (1892-1985) Stanley Clifton DAVIS (1893-1962)
Florence HAYWARD and Timothy Joseph DAVIS had the following children: Gilbert Hayward DAVIS (1875- ) Florence DAVIS (1877- )
Crowd of Maori and Pakeha gathered for the tangi of Tawhiao at Parawera. Photographs taken September 1894 by Enos Pegler.
King Tawhiao died 26 August 1894 at Parawera. He was buried at Taupiri after a tangi in September. On 24 September the tangi was open to pakeha visitors. The photographs were taken that day with a "Facile" camera.
Sources of information:
DNZB, vol 2; Sharland's New Zealand Photographer, 8 Oct 1894;
William Main, Auckland through a Victorian lens (Wellington: Millwood, 1977).
The Maori chiefs have set apart Monday next to receive and welcome European visitors in connection with the tangi being held over Tawhiao's death, Mr. Hudson, manager of district railways, has arranged for a special train to leave Auckland at eight a.m., stopping where required up to Otahuhu, reaching Taupiri at half-past eleven, returning from Taupiri at quarter past five p.m., stopping where required to put down passengers, and reaching Auckland at half-past eight. A special car will be reserved for ladies. It is expected that a considerable number of our citizens will be present on this interesting occasion, as such a gathering of natives, and a tangi on so large a scale is not likely to be seen again in New Zealand. The return fare from Auckland is 13s; from either stations the usual second-class return fare irrespective of class.
New Zealand Herald, Volume XXXI, Issue 9623, 22 September 1894, Page 4
Pegler, Enos Silvanus Abijah, 1869-1938. Guard of honour at tangi of Tawhiao - Photograph taken by Enos Pegler. Martin, Josiah, 1843-1916 :Maori portraits and artifacts. Ref: PAColl-1893-04. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22557391
Pegler, Enos Silvanus Abijah, 1869-1938. Brass band at tangi of Tawhiao - Photograph taken by Enos Pegler. Martin, Josiah, 1843-1916 :Maori portraits and artifacts. Ref: PAColl-1893-03. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22741287
Pegler, Enos Silvanus Abijah, 1869-1938. Reverend William Gittos speaking at tangi of Tawhiao - Photograph taken by Enos Pegler. Martin, Josiah, 1843-1916 :Maori portraits and artifacts. Ref: PAColl-1893-07. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22691832
Pegler, Enos Silvanus Abijah, 1869-1938. Guard of honour at tangi of Tawhiao - Photograph taken by Enos Pegler. Martin, Josiah, 1843-1916 :Maori portraits and artifacts. Ref: PAColl-1893-01. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22696229
Pegler, Enos Silvanus Abijah, 1869-1938. Guard of honour at tangi of Tawhiao - Photograph taken by Enos Pegler. Martin, Josiah, 1843-1916 :Maori portraits and artifacts. Ref: PAColl-1893-08. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22836608
Pegler, Enos Silvanus Abijah, 1869-1938. Guard of honour at tangi of Tawhiao - Photograph taken by Enos Pegler. Martin, Josiah, 1843-1916 :Maori portraits and artifacts. Ref: PAColl-1893-06. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22756841
Pegler, Enos Silvanus Abijah, 1869-1938. Crowd at tangi of Tawhiao - Photograph taken by Enos Pegler. Martin, Josiah, 1843-1916 :Maori portraits and artifacts. Ref: PAColl-1893-02. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23177166
Mr E. S. Pegler photographer of Onehunga, announces the opening of his new art studio tomorrow (Wednesday). He promises that the first half-dozen babies of 18 months old and under brought to the studio will be photographed separately, and free portraits handed to the mothers. The English ."Review of Reviews" says:- "E. S. Pegler, of Onehunga, Auckland, New Zealand, only seems to have one hunger, which is to obtain a comparison between his work and that of others. The photos we have seen, taken by the above gentleman are decidedly interesting, and all display capital work."
Bill Whittaker has joined the ranks of the kodakists. Last Monday he went out to Onehunga to get some instructions from Mr E. S. Pegler, the genial photographer of that place, who is always graciously ready and willing to initiate beginners into the mysteries of the black art. After some preliminary instructions in the dark room with regard to the fixing of plates, etc., and a shot or two in front of the studio, Mr Pegler advised our amateur to ramble along the streets and do a bit of snapshotting on his own account his parting injunction being get something moving if you can. Bill was back at the studio in half an hour to report that the only things he saw moving in Onehunga since he left were a lot of ducks and a cow's tail, and that he had shot both. Mr Pegler pronounced the ducks excellent, but the cow-picture had one defect. A cutter riding at anchor a quarter-of-a-mile off seemed to be resting on the cow's back, as clobb fitting as a howdah on an elephant's. Mr Pegler informed the kodakist that in order to preserve a just perspective, he may find it necessary to frequently change his position, but Bill declares that once his view finder is fixed, the cow or the cutter may move, but he's bothered if he will.
Observer, Volume XVI, Issue 996, 5 February 1898, Page 6
New Zealand Herald, Volume XLV, Issue 13732, 24 April 1908, Page 4
Mr. E. S. Pegler
The death has occurred of Mr. Enos S. Pegler, member of the original Manurewa Town Board in 1916. He was an enthusiastic bowler and was associated with various clubs in the North Island. He was a member of the New Zealand team which toured Great Britain in 1921, and on his return he wrote and published a book on the tour. While on the trip he lectured in England and Scotland. Mr. Pegler interested himself in local affairs, and from 1907 onwards took a prominent part in securing the extension of the railway line from Penrose to Papatoetoe. He is survived by his wife, four daughters and three sons.
Mr. Enos S. Pegler The death of Mr. Enos S. Pegler, aged 69, of Manurewa, has removed from public life a well-known personality, whose association with the southern suburbs of Auckland extended over 50 years. Born in Gloucestershire, England, Mr. Pegler came to New Zealand with his parents when four years of age. The family settled in Onehunga, where Mr. Pegler was engaged in business in later years, his activities including photography. Some of his earliest work was published in the first illustrated editions of the Auckland Weekly News.
In 1892 Mr. Pegler married Miss E. E. Oldham, of Tuakau, and a few years later they moved to Palmerston North. While there he was keenly interested in cricket and arranged the tour of Lord Hawke's touring team. In 1907 the family returned north and settled in Papatoetoe. At that time the south suburban railway service only extended to Penrose and Mr. Pegler took a prominent part in securing the extension of the service to Papatoetoe. Mr. Pegler later extended his business interests to Manurewa and was engaged in farming and estate agency activities until a few years ago, when he retired on account of failing health, He was a member of the original Manurewa Town Board in 1916 and served various terms.
An enthusiastic bowler, Mr. Pegler was associated with various clubs in the North Island. He was a member of the New Zealand team which toured Great Britain in 1921, and on his return he wrote and published a book on the tour. While on tour abroad he lectured in England and Scotland. Mr. Pegler is survived by his wife and four daughters and three sons.
New Zealand Herald, Volume LXXV, Issue 23174, 21 October 1938, Page 14
Palmerston North and Feilding born circa 1868 at Waipawa, New Zealand married 12 April 1902 at the residence of Mr. W. T. Wood, (Major of Palmerston North) to Marie Eliza Stevenson the eldest daughter of George Stevenson of Croydon, England (1) died 12 November 1913 Palmerston North aged 45 years also see Billens and Bunting
Mr F. W. Bunting, photographer, opened his branch business, next Star Office, to-day. Mr Cobbe has had the building renovated and made suitable in every way for the business, and we have no doubt Mr Bunting will receive a fair share of public patronage, especially as his work is second to none in the colony.
There is on view in Mr F. W. Bunting's photograph studio a photo of the Feilding Salvation Army Band, which was presented to Mr Samuel Daw by the members of the Salvation Army as a recognition of his services in training the band to its present state of proficiency. The photo bears the following inscription;—"Presented to Mr Samuel Daw by the members of the Feilding Salvation Army Band as a thankful recognition of very valuable services to them." The presentation was made on June 14. The photo frame is in itself a work of art, being made of 574 pieces of New Zealand wood — rimu, white pine, totara and totara knot — and is the handiwork of Mr J. B. Davy.
A quiet wedding took place this afternoon at "Glenorchy," the residence of the Mayor, Mr W. T. Wood, when Mr F. W. Bunting and Miss M. E. Stevenson, two highly respected local residents, were united in the bonds of holy matrimony. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. S. J. Baker in the presence of the immediate relatives of the contracting parties. The bride was attended by little Misses Reki and Louie Wood, as bridesmaids, and she was given away by Mr W. T. Wood. Mr C. H. Warden was present in the capacity of best man. Mr and Mrs Bunting left for the North by this afternoon's train. They have the best wishes of their many friends for their future happiness.
A complete transformation has recently been effected in the photographic premises of Mr F. W. Bunting in Manchester Street, the old shop having practically been replaced by a large two storied building designed on elegant proportions and possessing a handsome and well finished appearance. The interior arrangement of the new building are laid out with a view to affording every facility to Mr Bunting in the different branches of photography he undertakes, as well as providing for his patrons both convenience and comfort. The vestibule leads into a bright and well arranged waiting room from which the staircase passes to the studio above. Leading off from the waiting room is a dressing apartment, specially fitted up and furnished for the use of patrons, while in the rear of the building, are a well lighted room for finishing purposes, and the usual dark room. The studio is a special feature of the new building and one in which every attention and care has been observed in order that the best results can be obtained. It is luxuriously furnished and fitted up with the latest appliances necessary for the production of high class photography, including some fresh backgrounds from the brush of leading English and American artists. The studio, which comprises a floor measurement of 32 feet by 17 feet 6 inches, is lighted by a large skylight on the Wade principle comprising some large panes, the light being toned down to a nicety by a set of blinds introduced for the purpose. The convenience of the operator is materially assisted by a handy changing room leading off the studio. A new invisible shutter has been fitted to the studio camera, the operation of which is found to be greatly superior to the old cap system, especially in photographing children. Mr Bunting is at present on his way out to the colony from a visit to the Old Country, and he is bringing back with him all the newest styles and improvements in modern photography which he intends to introduce into his Feilding studio. Mr L. T. West, of Palmerston North, designed the building, and Mr W. Wilkinson was the contractor, carrying out the various works in a faithful and satisfactory manner.
Feilding Star,Volume XXIV, Issue 92, 16 October 1902, Page 2
BUNTING'S NEW STUDIO. Mr F. W. Bunting, the well-known photographer, of Palmerston North and Napier, finding that his business was increasing to such an extent, has for some time past been busy completing arrangements for the opening of a new studio adjoining A. Turner, painter, the Square, and is now conducting his business there.
The new promises, which are up-to-date in every detail, consist of a large vestibule, set off with nicely-painted showcases, in which are displayed photos of patrons from all parts of the Dominion. From the vestibule the visitor is shown into a very nicely-furnished reception or waiting room, off which are situated two store-rooms and a very cosy office.
At the rear of the reception room a very fine studio has been fitted up, in which will be found all the latest apparatus and appointments appertaining to photography. The studio is lighted by Wade's patent skylights. Off the studio are situated two very nice dressing rooms, a dark room, re-touching room, etc. The work-room is situated at the rear of the building. Provision has been made upstairs for a workroom.
Mr Bunting's private living rooms are also upstairs. The whole of the arrangements have been carried out under the personal supervision of Mr Bunting, who is to be congratulated on the excellent taste he has displayed. The work in connection with the additions and alterations has been carried out in first-class style by Mr C. Blackbourn (building) and Clark and Thompson (painting).
Mr Bunting has just opened up a large stock of the newest designs in photo mounts. Photo-framing will still be a feature of the business, and customers will have the choice of a splendid selection of mouldings. The new studio is now open for inspection.
The news of the death of Mr F. W. Bunting will be received with genuine regret by residents of Palmerston and surrounding districts. The late Mr Bunting had not enjoyed good health for some time past. Some eighteen months ago he was obliged to relinquish business and take a trip to Sydney, which trip was beneficial for the time only.
Two weeks ago he was taken to a private hospital in a precarious state of health, and on Saturday last returned to his home, where he passed away early yesterday morning.
The late Mr Bunting was born at Waipawa 45 years ago this month. He came to Palmerston, where he was engaged in the photography business with Mr H. Billons, over 20 years ago.
In 1894 the partnership was dissolved, and Mr Bunting had since then carried on his business on his own account. Mr Bunting was married in 1901 to Miss Stevenson, daughter of Mr Geo. Stevenson, a well known resident of the west Coast. Besides his widow, Mr Bunting leaves an only sister Mrs Hoddinott, of Queenstown, South Island. To thees the sympathy of the community will be extended in their sad bereavement.