HOLMES, Madeline Mabel



Madeline Mabel Holmes
Wellington, New Zealand, about 1905.


born 31 January 1878 Wellington, daughter of Ann and John Holmes (builder), reg. 1878/1061, died 20 September 1942 Wellington aged 64, buried 23 September 1941, Bolton Street Cemetery, Wellington, plot number 1.L., with her parents.

John Holmes [builder] died 5 October 1888 at his residence Frederick Street, Wellington aged 53 years, reg. 1888/1520, Ann Holmes died 6 August 1918 at her residence Cambridge Avenue, Wellington in her 82nd year



Wellington East Roll 1905-06 page 42
4 Cambridge Avenue
Madeline Mabel Holmes, photographer's assistant
Ethel Maude Holmes, dressmaker
Ann Holmes, widow




unknown woman by Madeline Mabel Holmes





SADD, Henry Samuel



Henry Samuel Sadd
1811-1893

born 1811 Middlesex, England the son of Samuel Sadd and Sarah Clint, she was a half sister of George Clint (1770-1854) the English portrait painter and engraver. Arrived in Auckland before 7 February 1854 when Henry Sadd of Edward Street, engraver is listed in the Daily Southern Cross as one of those liable to serve on Juries for that year. Departed Auckland 23 May 1854 on the "Moa" for Sydney with Mrs Sadd and two children [1]. Died 24 November 1893 at his residence Bridport Street, South Melbourne aged 82 years.




New Zealander, Volume 10, Issue 831, 1 April 1854
[this notice continued in the  New Zealander until 10 May 1854]


[1] New Zealander, Volume 10, Issue 846, 24 May 1854



 Robert Henry Wynyard
 (24 December 1802 – 6 January 1864)
by Henry Samuel Sadd after a daguerreotype by Hartley Webster
Wynyard, R.H. Gen A.B., C.B., circa 1860, 
Purchased 1916. Te Papa (O.013621)

 
Portrait of his Excellency Col. Wynyard, C. B.
We have been favoured with a copy of a highly finished likeness of His Excellency Colonel Wynyard, the Officer Administering the Government of New Zealand, and which has just been published by Mr. Williamson.

The portrait, which is an engraving on an enlarged scale, from the miniature Daguerreotype of Mr. Webster, is the production of Mr. H. Sadd, recently of Auckland, but now of Melbourne, - the brother of the eminent English artist, and himself a man of no mean reputation in the school of art. In England and in America, Mr. Sadd is equally and honourably known for the merit of his productions; and in the latter country he was the first to create a taste for the English style of engraving.

The portrait before us, whilst it exhibits, in a modified degree, that pecaliarity of aspect which all daguerreotypes impart to the human countenance, is essentially a work of great merit, and an honourable specimen of the artist’s genius. Like the finished translation of a clever book, it has been rendered with a delicacy of touch, a fidelity of conception, and a firmness of execution, which stamp it as a work of a master spirit. The portrait is, in brief, an admirable one; not merely as a worthy specimen of colonial art, but as an able embodiment of all the leading qualities that render portraits desirable, - fidelity of feature, and a marked accuracy of characteristic personal expression. In these details the engraving excels. It places before us a life-like “presentment” of a gentleman with whom the colonists of Auckland have been long and agreeably allied; - of one who, like themselves, has felt the lights and shadows which have gladdened or depressed their fluctuating and arduous career. We greet the publication of such a portrait as an appropriate and well-timed Souvenir, - an offering which will be prized long after passing differences with the Ruler shall have sunk into utter oblivion, and when the kindly and courteous disposition of the man shall alone be remembered.

New Zealander, Volume 11, Issue 929, 10 March 1855

Terry, John


John Terry


Early Morning - Lake Howden
by John Terry


The Night is Mother of the Day,
The Winter of the Spring,
And ever upon old Decay,
the greenest mosses cling. 

John Greenleaf Whittier

Unknown Photographer



Unknown Photographer


 The Trinity Wesleyan Church, Dunedin
by an unknown photographer
The architect of this building was Robert Arthur Lawson, of Dunedin and the building contractor was Edward Willis U'Ren.

The Trinity Wesleyan Church, Dunedin, has for over thirty years been the headquarters of Methodism in Otago. The church stands at the corner of Stuart Street and Moray Place, and is an attractive and solid-looking building. It is built of blue stone, with white Oamaru stone facings, supported by strong buttresses, and adorned with ornamental windows and minarets. The basement below the church is used as the Sunday school, and for various classes. The church was opened for divine worship on the 10th of July, 1870, when the Rev. A. R. Fitchett, now Dean Fitchett, were the officiating ministers. The building and site represent a total cost of about £5,000. The church manse is situated in York Place. The Rev. A. R. Fitchett, the late Rev. J. Berry, Rev. W. Morley, Rev. J. J. Lewis are some of the ministers who have held the pastorate of Trinity Church.
The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]



 above - The Trinity Wesleyan Church
postcard by Muir and Moodie