Illingworth, Richard



Richard Illingworth
born 27 December 1886 Accrington, England, arrived New Zealand about 1911, died 18 November 1918 aged 32 years, reg. 1918/8429, buried 19 November 1918, Karori Cemetery, Wellington, Soldiers' Section, plot 27C, married 19 May 1915, reg. 1915/8100 Emma White, she married 2ndly 7 December 1921, reg. 1921/5576, divorced 1927, Albert Percy Brown born 26 March 1884 Patea, son of William and Annie Brown
 
issue:
1. Richard George Illingworth born 11 September 1911 Auckland, registration not found, died 26 January 1977 Auckland

father: William Illingworth - photographer
brother: Benjamin Illingworth
- photographer
Emma White's sister was Alice White, married 1908 Walter Victor Pobar
       
 
The friends of Mrs Illingworth, off Wanganui, will be sorry to hear that she met with a serious accident in Wellington on Sunday night last, when she was run over by a motor-car in Manners Street. Latest reports state that she is doing as well as can be expected.
Wanganui Herald, Volume LI, Issue 15310, 28 August 1917, Page 4
 
 

Illingworth Studio
175 Symonds Street, Auckland 
from about February 1911 to July 1911
 
 
 Auckland Star, Volume XLII, Issue 27, 1 February 1911, Page 1
 
 
  
The Tesla Photographic Studios
Ferro-Concrete Buildings, Heretaunga street, Hastings.
January 1912 - January 1913
 
Colour Photography.
The art of photography in the hands of scientific workmen has now been brought to perfection, and opportunities are now afforded the public to obtain portraits in natural colours at a price which only slightly exceeds that of the ordinary portrait. The Tesla Photographic Studios are now opened in the Ferro-Concrete Buildings, Heretauuga St., Hastings, under the management of Mr. R. I. Illingworth, who in addition to many years' experience brings with him a most modern and complete equipment of photographic material and apparatus. You are invited to call and inspect the work on view in the cases at the studio. A free enlargement will be given to every purchaser of a dozen cabinet portraits. —The Tesla Photographic Studios, Ferro-Concrete Buildings, Heretaunga street, Hastings. Child and draped portraiture'a specialty.
Hastings Standard, Volume II, Issue 46, 7 February 1912, Page 4
 
 
 
Toska Studios
Victoria Avenue, Whanganui
April 1913 - 1918
 
 
A New Photographer.
The "Toska" Studios
Mr. R. Illingworth, who for some time was a manager for Mr Lampe, has started business on his own account in premises situate in Victoria Avenue (over A. A. Gower's and The Regent Tea Rooms). Mr. Illingworth comes from a family of great photographers. His father recently won the open medal of the world for portraiture at Turin and was awarded the Diploma of Honour at the Budapest Exhibition, so that his son who gained all his experience from him prior to his coming to the Dominion, should receive the fair support of the public of Wanganui and adjacent districts. Mr. Illingworth's coloured work (which he claims to be the only natural colouring in Australasia) is beautifully artistic and full of detail, it is executed in black and white, sepia, water colours and oils. In England he did a considerable amount of this class of work for some of the leading people. With regard to the studios, no expense has been spared to make them thoroughly up-to-date. The studio itself is restful, yet workmanlike, in short a tout ensemble indicating a definite aim, and that the means whereby the aim ran be attained have been carefully studied and are exactly carried out. Mr. Illingworth at once convinces one of his thoroughness, his attention to detail and of his devotion to photography. We are given to understand that, his charges for portraiture in all its branches is to be extremely moderate.
Wanganui Chronicle, Issue 12881, 9 April 1913, Page 5
 
 
Dominion, Volume 11, Issue 188, 29 April 1918, Page 1 


The photographic business in Wanganui is evidently a fairly payable one. An appellant at the Military Service Board, when asked the other day to give some idea of his profits, replied: "Oh, £500 or £1000 a year."
Taranaki Daily News, 11 July 1918, Page 4
 
 
"Dolly"
by Illingworth, Toska Studios, Whanganui
[purchased September 2021]
 
 

 

Index




Index - here



All newspaper articles and advertisements are from Papers Past - National Library of New Zealand or Trove - National Library of Australia unless otherwise stated.

Photographer's negatives - the most common question I am asked relates to the current location of photographer's negatives - see this post.

I'm not able to provide any information about photographers other than that on this site. I'm am also not able to date photographs or assist you in identifying people in photographs you may have. I am unable to assist in locating the current location of business records or negatives of any photographer.

I recommend the Auckland City Library's website for more information about New Zealand photographers - http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/photographers/basic_search.htm




Old Index - here



Harewood Camp

 

 

Harewood Camp - Easter 1888
 
Harewood Camp Easter 1888.
Five volunteers in front of tent; a sign "Rowdyville" above the entrance to the tent.
 
The plumed busbys probably indicate these five volunteers are members of the “E” Battery - New Zealand Regiment of Artillery. The shoulder straps, may read "E - N.Z.A."
photographer not known
 

 ...The various corps were assigned to the quarters prepared for them. A plentiful supply of straw was in every tent, and the men were soon busy unpacking the baggage, which had been sent up during the day, and in making themselves comfortable for the night. Ample time was allowed for this operation, as "lights out" was not sounded till a quarter to 12 o'clock. A quarter-guard for the night was furnished by the College Rifles, and a rear-guard by the Rangiora Rifles. It seems customary with Volunteers to allow themselves a little latitude on the first night in camp. Presumably the excitement occasioned by novel circumstances and surroundings prevents men from sleeping, and tends to loosen their tongues. It must be admitted, however, that on Thursday night some of the Volunteers, under canvas at Harewood, exceeded the limits prescribed by discipline in a manner for which no justification can be pleaded. So far from observing silence-after "lights out," they talked in very audible-tones till the "smallhours" were well advanced. Most of the disorder appeared to be centred in one tent, the occupants by which, by their noise, prevented their neighbours from sleeping for hours. Some of the language which disturbed the sleepers was not by any means of the most choice description. It is said that disorderly practical jokes were played with some of the tent pegs, and it is certain that the sound of hammering pegs into the ground was among the noises which disturbed the occupants of other tents...
Star (Christchurch), Issue 6200, 31 March 1888, Page 3
 
The strength of the various corps in camp, according to the official statistics taken at the morning parade was as follows
Horse -
C.Y.C. (Captain Wright) 26
Mounted Rifles (Lieutenant Reese) 15
 
Artillery -
E Battery (Captain Martin) 31
 
Engineers -
Canterbury Engineers (Captain Webster) 21
 
Infantry -
First Canterbury Battalion (Lieutenant Colonel Tosswill)
A. City Guards (Captain Bishop) 24
B. College Rifles (Captain Harper) 26
C. Christchurch Rifles (Captain Bristow) 19
D. Sydenham Rifles (Captain Coxon) 22
F. Richmond Rifles (Captain Bowron) 24
G. Irish Rifles (Captain Loughrey) 26
Total 232
Rangiora Rifles (Captain Fulton) 19
Total on parade 251
Lyttelton Times, Volume LXIX, Issue 8444, 31 March 1888, Page 6
 
 
Here in Christchurch the representatives of the Regiment of Artillery are the 9th and 10th field batteries (18-pounder) and the 16th Pack Battery (3.7 howitzer). The 9th Battery dates from the earliest days of volunteering in Canterbury. Towards the beginning of 1860 New Zealand was full of military ardour owing to the necessity of self-defence against the Maoris, and on May 3 of the year two rifle companies were sworn in. Eight years later No. 1 Company of the Canterbury Rifle Volunteers was converted into an artillery corps, being gazetted as the Christchurch Artillery. It was not until December, 1878, that the New Zealand Regiment of Artillery was formed, at which date the Christchurch unit became “E” Battery, a name remembered with much distinction and affection in volunteer circles. At that time the battery was armed with a 10-pounder Armstrong muzzleloader. By the end of the century, after a comparatively placid existence, the battery was re-armed with the 15 pounder breach-loading guns, which were only fully replaced after the Great War by the modern 18 pounder. The years immediately after the Great War saw a reorganisation of the New Zealand Forces upon a divisional basis, demanding a wide extension of the artillery. The old system of letters was dropped and the batteries were numbered throughout New Zealand. “E ” Battery then became the 9th Battery, and the 10th Battery was formed, a new unit, to complete the army organisation.
Star (Christchurch), Volume XLIV, Issue 720, 25 March 1933, Page 19 (Supplement)


SEVENTY YEARS OLD
A Military Anniversary
RECORD OF NINTH FIELD BATTERY
Seventy years ago the Ninth Field Battery, New Zealand Artillery, originally known as E Battery, came into being. The spirit of an artilleryman never changes, and although the times, equipment, and uniforms have changed, the men who serve the guns to-day have the same esprit de corps as those who in earlier days were the envy of all other services, with their plumed busbies, blue tunics with white cross-belts, long swords, and spurred Wellington boots. Throughout its history the battery has maintained an incomparable standard of efficiency. It is with pride that the present men and officers of the battery acknowledge the traditions which have been passed down by those who have exemplified the motto of all gunners — Ubique (Everywhere).

In the year 1864 — significantly called the volunteer year in Colonel Slater's Fifty Years of Volunteering — artillery in Canterbury was born. In this year the unit which now bears the title of the Ninth Field Battery was formed. The No. 1 Company of the Canterbury Rifle Volunteers was formed in 1864, and although they were not converted into an artillery unit until February, 1868, what is now the Ninth Field Battery has an unbroken record since 1864.

In December of 1878, the New Zealand Regiment of Volunteer Artillery was formed, and the Christchurch artillery volunteers became E Battery of that regiment.

There are many of the older generation of Christchurch who have memories of their association with E Battery, and during the long period, 1878 until 1911 — when the compulsory system of recruitment for the New Zealand Military Forces was introduced — it was looked on by its members as their only hobby, and the battery orderly room as their club. In 1921, when the divisional organisation was adopted throughout New Zealand, the alphabetically labelled batteries were changed to a numerical designation, and the E Battery became the Ninth Field Battery, New Zealand Artillery, absorbing the traditions and records of the Ninth Field Battery, New Zealand Field Artillery of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, which formed part of the Second (Army) Field Brigade (New Zealand Field Artillery) of that force.

Changes in Equipment
Although the equipment with which this unit has been armed changed from time to time, all had to be "man handled" on occasions. Consequently then as now, there were rigid requirements for physique, but one advantage the modern gunner has over his prototype is that formerly there were no pneumatic recoil buffers to take up the recoil of the gun when fired. All old artillery men will remember the 15 pounder B.L. guns, with which the battery was armed for a time. They will tell how heavy the gun was — describe the huge toothed spade — and how, after returning to earth after firing the spade dug itself into the ground, and how the detachment had to heave and pull to get the piece into its line again. Like the guns, the uniform has also changed. Many will recall with pride the Canterbury Artillery Volunteers in their uniform of dark blue with white braid, and the letters C.A.V. on the shoulder straps, the "pill box" cap with its scarlet band, and for full dress the busby with plume and cords. When the battery became known as "E'' Battery, the braid was changed from white to yellow, and the letters E - N.Z.A. replaced the C.A.V. Drivers wore blue riding breeches with red stripe, and the gunners long trousers of the same material. When khaki became adopted as the service cloth for all uniforms, the gunners conformed, and the pith helmets became the head-dress of the E Battery. In the days of blue uniforms local firms generally supplied the uniforms on contract, and they were an expensive item. The average cost of fitting out a man was £15. When wear and tear is taken into consideration it will be realised that the Government capitation grant of £3 10s a man did not go very far towards the purchase of uniforms. Officers had, of course, to find their own uniforms, and besides the service dress and full dress, mess dress for social occasions had also to be provided.


Familiar Names
On looking through the records of the Ninth Battery it is interesting to note the many familiar names, particularly among the officers. When the No. 1 Company of the Canterbury Rifle Volunteers was formed, the first officer commanding was Captain Atkinson, formerly of the Seventy-second Highlanders, and his subordinate officers were Lieutenant F. Guinness and Ensign H. T. Miller. Later, Lieutenant F. Guinness was promoted, and then came Captain Crosbie Ward. When the No. 1 Company C.R.V. became an artillery unit in 1878, the corps was fortunate in obtaining the services of Lieutenant W. F. Moore, formerly of the Royal Artillery, with Lieutenants C. Allison and J. B. Stansell as his officers. Later, Captain J. A. Bird — formerly of the Sydney Volunteer Artillery —became the officer commanding, and besides Lieutenant Stansell he had Sergeant Major W. Warner and Quarter-Master-Sergeant W. Raven as his assistants. Among other officers at this time was Captain D. Craig. In 1884, Captain J. C. Martin took charge, supported by Lieutenant G. M. Douglas. From 1885 until 1894, the Q.M.S. was J. J. Dougall, who received his promotion to Lieutenant in 1895, when the officer commanding was Captain Y. Donald — C. J. Treleaven was sergeant-major at this time. The other officers were: Lieutenant D. McNicoll and Second-Lieutenant F. I. Cowlishaw. In 1900 Captain Donald had as his officers, Lieutenants C. J. Treleaven, M. Lewin, and T. Maude— the sergeant-major being G. Johnstone, and the quarter-master-sergeant H. Taylor. | In the following year Lieutenant C. J. Treleaven was promoted to captain and obtained command of the battery, which appointment he retained until 1906, his subordinates being Lieutenants W. Wilson, L. P. Symes, and N. M. Duncan, with B.S.M. Johnstone, Q.M.S. A. Lezard, and Farrier-Sergeant W. Stokes as his senior non-commissioned officers. Captain C. J. Treleaven was succeeded in 1907 by Captain N. M. Duncan, with Lieutenant G. J. Beattie and Second-Lieutenants P. R. Climie and M. A. Powrie. Q.M.S. A. Lezard was promoted battery sergeant-major at this time, and Dave Lee was appointed quarter-master-sergeant.

Just before the advent of the compulsory method of enlistment in 1911 Major G. J. Beattie was appointed to the command, and continued in that office until 1915, when he left on active service in command of the Fifth Battery, N.Z.F.A., of the Expeditionary Force. Major Beattie's officers during this period included Captain H. J. Daltry, Lieutenants V. Leeming, V. Rogers, R. C. Wickens, S. W. Morten, and W. E. Earnshaw. Of these, Captains Daltry, Leeming, and Lieutenants Rogers, Wakens and Morten left with the main body of the Expeditionary Force — Major Beattie and Lieutenant Earnshaw leaving in 1915. Major Vic. Rogers — at the time commanding the Fifth Battery, N.Z.F.A. — was killed near the railway dugouts behind Westhoeck ridge on February 8, 1918, and Lieutenant Stan Morten was killed, also while a member of the Fifth Battery, at the Somme in 1916. It is also interesting to recall that five of these E Battery officers were decorated for services in the field; Majors Daltry, Rogers, and Wickens receiving the Distinguished Service Order, while Major V. Leeming and Captain Earnshaw were awarded the Military Cross.

Major V. Leeming, who was the battery captain under Major Beattie just before the war, returned from France in 1916, and assumed command of the battery, which command he held until 1918, and Major R. C. Wickens, who had left in 1914 as a second-lieutenant from the E Battery, relieved Major Leeming. In 1923, Major Wickens handed over to Captain F. M. Mitchell, who in turn handed over to Captain L. R. Webley. Captain C. L. Walter, the present officer commanding, took over from Captain Webley in 1932.

Early Incidents
Now that the territorial forces of the Dominion have reverted to the voluntary system of enlistment, it is interesting to recall some of the incidents of the old days. There is no doubt that before the days of compulsory enlistment, when a potential recruit had to be proposed, seconded and elected, and when in many cases, he had to submit to a levy to pay part cost of his uniform, he felt that he had a large stake in the corps, and it formed a large part of his social life. Now, with the attractions of modern life, there are many other avenues for men, but 30 years ago, the volunteer unit absorbed all energies, other than one's own vocation in life.

It must be realised that a technical unit is, in a great measure, in the hands of its instructors, and in this respect, E Battery was always singularly fortunate. It would be impossible to do justice to the painstaking efforts of the long list of the instructors, but perhaps the names of Captain G. S. Richardson (now General Sir George Richardson), Sergeant-Major (Blazer) Wilson (the late Captain H. Wilson), and Sergeant-Major W. O. Bradley (now Captain W. O. Bradley) — who only retired from the service a few years ago — should be mentioned.

The first guns used by the Canterbury Artillery Volunteers were nine-pounder Armstrong's and a 24 pounder Howitzer, which was a relic of the Crimean War. The next equipment was 12-pounder Nordenfeldt, and about the Boer War time, the 15-pounder B.L. gun was issued. This latter continued to be used until 1912, when it Was replaced by the 18-pounder quickfiring gun, which, with modifications to the carriage and buffer, is still the equipment with which the battery is armed.


Battery Camps
Although E Battery was first of all an artillery unit, it did not neglect the other sides of soldiering, and it could always turn out a first-class rifle shooting team. Those who were connected with the battery in the old days will recall the night and morning camps held in Hagley Park. At these, the members of the battery used to rise early in the morning, and after drilling for an hour or so, go to their civil work, returning again in the evening, when there would be more drill and lectures before lights out. Battery camps were held during the month of December, extending over a fortnight, the members attending their ordinary day's work. The work done in these camps was indeed most useful, everybody entering into the spirit of the tasks. Light drill was done in the morning, such as standing gun drill, fuse setting, gun laying, etc. After dinner at night further drill was taken, followed by lectures given by the various instructors. Horses were brought into camp for week-end drill, when field movements were practised and the drivers had a good opportunity of perfecting themselves in affairs relating to the horses and harness. At the conclusion of the camp the battery would trek to the site chosen for live shell shoot, taking tents and camp equipment. Camp was pitched and the following day devoted to carrying out the tactical scheme laid down for the occasion.

Service practice in the old days was a very simple affair in contrast to the tactical schemes of the present day. General Sir George Richardson, then master gunner, was responsible in the early nineties for the first "shoots" under a planned scheme. Gunners found them most interesting, especially those detailed to observe from a flank the result of the shooting. The shrapnel sometimes burst short, owing to hurried fuse setting, and errors in deflection when firing from a concealed position. This occasional irregular shooting was quite interesting to the observers. The instruments in those days were not as efficient as those used today. Nevertheless the shooting was remarkably good and splendid results were obtained.

Unfortunately, on account of closer settlement and because modern equipment and ammunition have developed considerably, it is not possible to carry out service practice near the larger towns. Instead of going to Cashmere Hills or Hoon Hay, the present unit is taken to a fully established artillery range near Dunedin.

Horses and harness were also a source of worry in the ,old days. There was no such thing as trained artillery horses, and those that were occasionally hired were of the dray type, but still the battery "got there" in spite of all difficulties.

Carrying Out Traditions
The present Ninth Battery is nobly carrying on the traditions, not only of the C.A.V. and the E Battery, but also of the Ninth Field Battery of the Expeditionary Force. The days of gunners and drivers only are now gone by. It is the age of specialisation and mechanisation. Although the battery is still horsed, and is fortunate in having regular horses, mechanics have exerted a great influence in the "gadgets" and equipment used to attain its task — to get the shell on to the target. The battery is now divided into gunners, drivers, signallers, surveyors, telephonists, and wireless operators. Its establishment is 122, exclusive of officers, and on mobilisation will expand to 219, with 195 horses. It is still armed with the 18-pounder quick firing gun, but with pneumatic recoil buffers and a very much increased range.

At the last practice camp of the Ninth Battery held at the permanent range, Sutton, Central Otago, 74 per cent, of the actual strength attended camp, together with two officers and 20 members of the artillery section of the Christchurch Boys' High School. Mention must be made of the great assistance which has been rendered by the Artillery Regimental Association of Christchurch. This body of men numbers among its ranks many who, through this article, will recall fond memories of the happy days spent in the old E Battery.
Press, Volume LXX, Issue 21168, 19 May 1934, Page 5


 

 
The Members of 
The First Conference of the Industrial and Protection Societies of New Zealand
Held in the City of Wellington, March 19-28, 1888
 

 back row: Owen James Hodge [Dunedin], David Bellhouse [Christchurch], Joseph Dransfield [Wellington], Walter Hill [Wellington], W. Chalmers [Wellington], W. Robertson [Wellington].
front row: W. Hildreth [Wellington], Thomas Kennedy Macdonald [Wellington], James Stuart [Invercargill], Henry Medland Shepherd [Auckland], Sir Charles Manley Luke [Wellington], James MacIntosh [Invercargill], Henry Bland Kirk [Christchurch]
 
Photograph by Wrigglesworth and Binns, Wellington, N.Z.
[purchased July 2021]