Weddings 1910's and 1930's



 1914
 above: marriage of Violet Catherine Perry to James Wilfred Swaney in 1914.



1921

"Click & Marion Priddle nee Benning"
William Charles Hellyer Priddle married Marion Edith Benning in 1921
photograph by Arthur John McCusker - Blenheim


"Bill Agar, Click Priddle, Marion (Priddle), Bert Parris, Ciss Priddle"
reverse inscribed "With Best Wishes from Marion & Click"
William Michael Agar, William Charles Hellyer Priddle, Marion Edith Benning, Cecily Monica Priddle, others not known.
William Charles Hellyer Priddle married Marion Edith Benning in 1921
photograph by Arthur John McCusker - Blenheim




 1922

"Edie Agar, Bill Agar, Ciss Agar, George Agar"
Cecily Monica Priddle the daughter of Robert Frederick Charles Priddle and Mary Ann Norton married in 1922 to William Michael Agar.
  Photograph by Harlton Studios


"Ciss & Bill Agar"
reverse inscription "Auntie Mabel"
 Photograph by Harlton Studios
  
1924

"Francie & Arthur Adams"
Arthur Norman Adams was the son of Frederick Adams and Eliza Maria Hopkins.
 Photographer not known.
   Frances Ellen Gledhill married Arthur Norman Adams in 1924, reg. 1924/10075




1927
  
"Mrs and Mrs Les Kaywood September 1927"
by Philip Henry Jauncey

 Leslie Thomas Kaywood married Doris Edna Mackin on 19 September 1927 at St Luke's Church, Wadestown, Wellington, registered 1927/5760.


Evening Post, Volume CIV, Issue 102, 27 October 1927, Page 1






1927


"Mrs and Mrs Tom Howitt"
by Electric Studios, Jackson Street, Petone, 1927

The wedding was solemnised recently at St. Augustine's Church, Petone, of Pearl Charity Grace, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. Asplet, Petone, to Thomas Francis, second son of Mr. and Mrs. D. Howitt, of Wellington. The Rev. Mr. Ramson officiated. The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a gown fashioned in early Victorian style, and was of lace zoralee over georgette with full draped skirt, finished with a bouccilae ornament in front. The dainty veil was attached to the new-fashioned Juliet cap with eardrops of orange blossoms at the sides and formed a beautiful train. She carried a beautiful bouquet of tiger lilies, carnations, asters, and maidenhair fern.

Miss Gladys Asplet, chief bridesmaid and sister of the bride, wore salmon pink crepe satin with hat to match, and carried a bouquet of mauve pansies and asters. The two little flower girls, Edith Asplet and Evelyn Schofer, sister and cousin of the bride looked, very charming, the former in cyclamen crepe satin, and the latter in deep turquoise satin, both with hats to match and carrying posies.

Mr. N. Smith, of Wellington, was best man. A dainty, silk horseshoe was given the bride as she left the church, later a reception was held at St. Augustine's Hall, where Mrs. Asplet, mother of the bride, received the guests, wearing Pavlova crepe de chine and hat to match. Mrs. D. Howitt, mother of the bridegroom, wore black silk trimmed with old gold lace, with hat to match. Later Mr. and Mrs Howitt left for New Plymouth by car, the bride's travelling frock being of almond green reppe, and a hat to tone. They were the recipients of many useful presents.
Evening Post, Volume CXIII, Issue 77, 1 April 1927, Page 13




 1929

James Digby Gudsell married Annie Bella Willcock on 8 May 1929 at the Woodlands Street Methodist Church, Timaru. Witnessed by May Bolitho and Sid Gudsell.



1929


 Mrs Mossie James (Miss K. Knight)
by Stanley Polkinghorne Andrew - March 1929
 Kathleen Mary Knight to Maurice Barrie James 
 married on 12 February 1929 at St. Brigid's Church, Wadestown.



The wedding was solemnised recently at St. Brigid's Roman Catholic Church, Wadestown, of Kathleen Mary, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs. E. J. Knight, of Margaret street, Wadestown, to Maurice Barrie, third son of Mr. and Mrs. H. D. James, of Greymouth, The Rev. Father J. J. Kennedy, of St. Patrick's College, Wellington, officiated.

The church was tastefully decorated with many-hued hydrangeas. The bride, who was escorted by her father, wore a beautiful frock of ivory mariette and lace and a hand-worked veil held in place by a circlet of orange blossom. A charming bouquet of pale pink carnations was carried.

There were three bridesmaids, the chief,  Miss Doris Knight, wearing delphinium blue georgette; Miss Kathleen James, shrimp pink georgette; and Miss Margaret Knight, orchid georgette. All wore black picture hats and carried dainty posies. Little Selma Knight, wearing lettuce green georgette, was a dainty flower girl. Mr. Peter Kenned, of Gisborne, was best man, and the groomsmen were Messrs. Roy Knight and Phillip James. The bride entered the church to the accompaniment of the "Wedding March," played by Miss O. Roseingrave.

After the ceremony a reception was held at St. Luke's Hall, where the guests were received by the bride's mother, wearing a gown of black and white crepe de chine. Among those present were Mrs. H. D. James (mother of the bridegroom), in an ensemble of wine coloured georgette; Mrs. Simmions (Whangarei), Mrs. Nolan (Auckland), Mrs. Whitfield (Auckland), Mrs. (Captain) Connor (Wanganui), Mrs. Izard, Mrs. M'Carthy-Reid, Mrs. E. Cook, Mrs. J. J. L. Burke, Mrs. Dillon, Mrs. Walter Haynes, Mrs. Travers, Mrs. Connor, Mrs. Costello. The evening was enjoyably spent with music and dancing. Items were contributed by the Misses Dillon and Mr. Withers to the. accompaniment of Mrs. Withers. Mr. and Mrs. James later left for the North.
Evening Post, Volume CVII, Issue 55, 8 March 1929, Page 13


married 12 February 1929 at St. Brigid's Church, Wadestown

reg. 1929/563    Kathleen Mary Knight to Maurice Barrie James



1930



"Mr and Mrs Eric Wing"
by Crown Studios, Cuba Street, Wellington, 1930.



"Mrs Wing and Bridesmaid - Dulcie Charman, Mabel Turner, Billy Wing"
by Crown Studios, Cuba Street, Wellington, 1930.

The wedding was solemnised recently at St. Peter's Church, Willis street, of Vera Muriel, elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. R. Charman, Lyall Bay, to Eric Arthur, only son of Mr. and Mrs. A. P. Wing, Island Bay. The Rev. G. C. Blathwayt, vicar of St. Hilda's Church, Island Bay, officiated. The bride, who was escorted by her, father, wore a charming long frock of ivory silk lace and georgette, relieved with touches of pink. Her embroidered veil, which formed a train, was worn with a coronet of orange blossom and lace. She carried a bouquet of pink and white roses and sweet peas. The three bridesmaids, Misses Mabel Turner (chief), Dulcie Charman, and Billie Wing, were, dressed alike in Early Victorian frocks, of coral pink georgette and silk net, mounted on satin. Their picture hats were to tone, and each carried a posy and a silk moire evening bag (the gifts of the bridegroom).

Mr. Jack Brewer was best man, and Messrs. Jack West and Roy Charman groomsmen. About eighty guests were entertained at the reception. Mrs. Charman wore a handsome gown of navy lace and pink georgette, with a patterned coat and hat to tone. She carried a bouquet of pink carnations. Mrs. Wing wore an ensemble of black satin and lace, and a black hat trimmed with ospreys. Her bouquet was of pink sweet peas. The bride's travelling costume was in brown tweed, and she wore a French toque and a fur necklet (the gift of the bridegroom). 
Evening Post, Volume CX, Issue 139, 10 December 1930, Page 15



1931
Sidney Clarence Gudsell married Catherine Rita May Bolitho 
on 23 January 1931 at Trinity Presbyterian Church, Temuka.



WEDDING.
GUDSELL — BOLITHO.
A pretty wedding was solemnised recently at, the Presbyterian Church, Temuka, when Catherine Rita May, only daughter of Mr and Mrs W. G. Bolitho; "Willowvale," Orari, was married to Sidney Clarence, youngest son of Mr and Mrs Thomas Gudsell, Rosewill, Timaru. Mr R. Taylor, Home Missionary, Orari, was the officiating clergyman, and Mr Davis, Temuka, pre­sided at the organ.

The bride, who was escorted by her father, wore a handsome long-sleeved frock of cream georgette, with an over­dress of silver lace. Her tight fitting bodice, trimmed with a large French satin bow at the left hip, was cut with points at the waist line from which the effective full skirt fell gracefully to the ankles. Her embroidered tulle veil was fitted to the head with a coronet of orange blossoms and she carried a fragrant shower bouquet of cream roses, maidenhair and asparagus fern. Silver shoes, and stockings to match her frock completed her toilet. She was attended by her cousin, Miss Janet Bowie, Dunedin, as bridesmaid, who wore a becoming long-sleeved frock of delphinium blue crepe de chine, with close fitting bodice and circular skirt.


A coronet shaped band of gold leaves and blue forget-me-nots was worn on the head, and her bouquet consisted of cream roses and maidenhair fern. A little flower girl, Agnes Scott (Cissie), Winchester, niece of the bridegroom, looked very dainty in a frilled frock of pink crepe de chine, a band of gold leaves and pink forget-me-nots encircling her head, while she carried a basket of pink flowers which toned with with her frock. The bridegroom was at­tended by Mr Ivon Bolitho, brother of the bride, as best man.

After the ceremony, a reception was held in the Coronation Rooms. Temuka, where Mr and Mrs Bolitho entertained about 70 guests. The visitors were received by Mrs Bolitho the bride's mother, who wore a handsome frock of navy georgette and lace, with lace coatee, smart navy hat to match, and carried a charming bouquet of red roses with maidenhair and asparagus fern. Mrs T. Gudsell, the bridegroom's mother, wore a brown tailored costume, with black fur, and black hat. Her bouquet consisted of carnations and maidenhair fern.

Later, when Mr and Mrs S. Gudsell left by motor for the north on their wedding tour, the bride was wearing a beige georgette and lace frock, tailored, grey summer coat, with saxe blue facings, and saxe blue hat with beige trimmings. She also wore a handsome fur, the gift of the bridegroom.


 

1932


Mr and Mrs Alex Bain 
by Crown Studios, Cuba Street, Wellington.


Mr and Mrs Bain - March 1932
by Crown Studios, Cuba Street, Wellington

"Marriage Frank Adams" and "Bill Ragg, Uncle Frank (Adams) Nellie Ragg"
Photographer not known.
 

1938




Wedding photograph of Robert Charles Edward Trueman Roberts and Amy Maud Andrews at Ward, Marlborough in January 1938.
Pictured from left - Alice Amy Wooding nee Andrews (1881-1938), Robert Charles Edward Trueman Roberts, Amy Maud Roberts nee Wooding (1909-1990) and Arthur Richard Wooding (1882-1950)     

 
WEDDINGS
ROBERTS—WOODING
The marriage of Amy Maud, second daughter of Mr and Mrs A. R. Wooding ("Te Moana," Ward), to Edward Trueman, only son of Mr E. Roberts ("Riverside," Culverden), and of the late Mrs Roberts, was celebrated recently at St. Peter's Church, Ward, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. G. Barker. Miss Cecily Mills was the organist.

Mr Wooding escorted his daughter to the church, which had been beautifully decorated by friends of the bride. Miss Eileen Wooding, the bride's sister, was bridesmaid, Misses Margaret and Helen Roberts, the bridegroom's sisters, were flower-girls, and Mr William L. Cardwell attended the bridegroom as best man.

The bride's trained frock of cream crepe cavalcade was caught at the slightly cowled neckline with a spray of orange blossom and clusters of similar blossoms, which had been worn by the bridegroom's mother, held in place the veil of embroidered tulle. She carried a bouquet of Madonna lilies and roses.

The bridesmaid's frock was of Margaret Rose pink tree-back crepe, and was made with a fully flared skirt, puffed sleeves, and a round neck with vandyked trimming of narrow black ribbon velvet. A black velvet sash defined the waist Her picture hat to match her frock was trimmed with black velvet and pink rosebuds, and her bouquet was composed of pink roses and blue cornflowers.

Delphinium blue Victorian frocks patterned with pink rosebuds and forget-me-nots were worn by the flower-girls, and their Bo-Peep hats were trimmed with blue and pink flowers and tied with blue ribbons. Their Victorian posies were of flowers to tone.

The bride's mother wore a frock of black silk serge trimmed with gold stitched braid, and a hat of black gramophone straw. Her flowers were mauve sweet peas and statice. Mrs Roberts wore a frock of chocolate brown crepe de chine, a matching bolero having mustard-coloured revers. Her picture hat matched her frock, and she carried a bouquet of abutilons. Miss Roberts, aunt of the bridegroom, wore a frock of navy blue silk crepe trimmed with a faggoted vestee and a jabot of coffee coloured georgette. Her hat was of navy straw with veiled pink flowers inset in the crown, and her shoulder spray was also of pink flowers.

The bride travelled in a tailored suit of almond green linen, a beige silk blouse, and a chip straw hat with accessories to tone. Mr and Mrs E. T. Roberts will make their home at Culverden.
Press, Volume LXXIV, Issue 22291, 4 January 1938, page 3







No comments: