Peter De Loree
Tourist Photographer

Peter De Loree was born in about 1822 probably in Belgium. In a letter to the Star newspaper in 1889, he claimed his mother was the only child of Marie Josephine Schelling and Paul de Saeger. He believed his grandmother served in Napoleon's army and received  the "Legion of Honour" from Napoleon. He also claimed his father, unnamed, also served in the Grand Army of Napoleon. He was the fifth child of six children, his mother died 4 May 1829 when Peter De Loree was aged about 7 years. These claims have not been verified.

In 1844 he went to London and in 1848 to Victoria, Australia. In Ballarat he ran the Blue Jacket Hotel and also opened a Fencing Academy at the hotel. He was a resident of Ballarat at the time of the riot in 1854. Following the discovery of gold in Otago in 1861 he left Australia probably arriving in Port Chalmers on the ship  "Sea Nymph" on 26 October 1861. He was then aged 38 or 39 years. 

In Otago he operated the Ballarat Hotel in Wetherstons. After the gradual decline in gold mining in that area, he moved to the West Coast where in 1866 he briefly operated the Blue Jacket Hotel in Revell Street, Hokitika. The hotel was sold in October 1866 for ₤400.

Later in July 1868 he opened a "photographic portrait room" at Addison's Flat, 13kms south of Westport. Gold was discovered at Addison's Flat in May, 1867; it is said that in the heyday of the rush between three thousand and four thousand men were gold digging in the vicinity [1].

By November 1868 he had opened the Ballarat Portrait Rooms opposite the Tramway Hotel in Molesworth Street, Westport. However by February 1869 this studio had been taken over by Thomas Edward Price. In mid 1869 his studio was located in a calico-covered hut at the Caledonian Terrace.

[1] The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]

about 1848 to 1861

The Star (Ballarat, Victoria), Friday 30 March 1860, page 3
Monsieur Fiton is Edward Fiton / Pierre Edouard Fiton of Bordeaux, carpenter - The Argus (Melbourne), Thu 29 Nov 1860, page 1

The Star (Ballarat) 5 May 1862 page 3

The Star (Ballarat) 27 May 1862 page 3 

New Zealand
(sometimes Wetherstone's, Weatherstone etc) 
1861 to 1865

Otago Daily Times, Issue 812, 28 July 1864, Page 3

New Zealand

West Coast Times, Issue 58, 17 October 1865, Page 1

West Coast Times, Issue 100, 12 January 1866, Page 3

New Zealand

West Coast Times, Issue 185, 23 April 1866, Page 3
[this notice first appeared in the West Coast Times about 7 April 1866] 

West Coast Times, Issue 320, 2 October 1866, Page 2

As a proof of the increasing value of property in Revell street north, we may mention that Messrs E. B. Pearce & Co yesterday sold the Blue Jacket Hotel for ₤400.
West Coast Times, Issue 345, 31 October 1866, Page 2 

Addison's Flat.
... Mr De Loree, has opened a photographic portrait room, and on Sundays especially, when the miners have some spare time, does a very good business, especially among the fair sex who as usual have no objection to admiration.
Westport Times, Volume II, Issue 289, 4 July 1868, Page 4

New Zealand

 Westport Times, Volume III, Issue 403, 14 November 1868, Page 8

Some very excellent views of the public buildings in Westport, such as these are, have recently been taken by Mr De Loree, who has opened a photographic studio in Molesworth Street. Mr De Loree has also taken, for private individuals, a series of street views, including stores and hotels of prominent position and character and both these, and portraits which we have seen produced, are sufficiently good to show that the exercise of the photographer's art is not altogether dependent upon the importation of foreign talent.
Westport Times, Volume III, Issue 417, 1 December 1868, Page 2  

We notice that Mr Price, photographer, has revisited Westport, after a stay of some length in Charleston, and is for a short season to resume the exercise of his art in Mr De Loree's photographic saloon in Molesworth street.
Westport Times, Volume III, Issue 465, 13 February 1869, Page 2 

Property v. Photography
De Loree v. M'Cole. — This was a claim of a peculiar character, brought by Peter De Loree, a photographic artist, against Hugh M'Cole, publican, and owner of a calico-covered hut which the plaintiff had occupied at the Caledonian Terrace as a "studio." The claim was for the value of fifteen photographic "negatives," a glass funnel, and a number of pictures.

Mr Tyler appeared for the defendant.

De Loree related the terms upon which he had rented the house from M'Cole. He told M'Cole that he might require the place for a fortnight, three weeks, or perhaps more, and it was agreed that he should give £1 for its use. On the third Saturday, M'Cole told him that he should require 10s a week, but he refused to give it. He was told to give the key and £1 to Mr M'Farlane, but did not do so but on the fourth Saturday paid the £1 to M'Cole himself. On the Sunday, M'Cole came up to the Caledonian, and, during his absence, entered the place, and disturbed its contents. Immediately after he had noticed this, M'Cole came in, and asked him if he was to keep possession of the place. It was nine o'clock at night, and blowing a harder gale than he had seen on the coast; and he asked to be allowed to stop till next morning. M'Cole called him a "loafer" - said he was loafing on him. He told M'Cole to go out of the house, and to talk to him on the following day when he was sober. He was rather the worse of drink at the time. He replied I will let you see whether I am drunk or not," and he got on to a ladder belonging to him (De Loree) which was standing outside the house, and commenced to tear off the calico roof. After the roof was pretty well off, he (De Loree) saw that his things were being blown about and destroyed, and he took the ladder from M'Cole. M'Cole, however, fetched another ladder, and continued tearing off the calico, until he took the ladder from him, as he was moving it, and pitched it away. The wind getting in, nearly everything, including his negatives," was blown or shaken off the shelves. "Negatives were pictures taken on glass, so as to be printed off again." Fifteen of them, which he considered worth £1 each, were completely smashed. Some "negatives" might be worth nothing, and others might be worth £3 or £4 according to the demand for the pictures. There was one glass funnel broken, and it could not be replaced without sending to Dunedin. The pictures were "showpictures" and not of much value. He told the defendant at the time that his children were in bed in the place, but he said he did not care a damn he (De Loree) must go out." Immediately afterwards the place was sold to Mr M'Farlane for a five-pound note.

Mr Tyler submitted that, as the case involved a dispute as to ownership of property, it was beyond the jurisdiction of the Court. The terms of the Act were that no Resident Magistrate could take notice of any claim in which the title to ground or hereditaments was in dispute and this, he considered, was such a claim. He referred to a case in Christchurch in which the Magistrate held that he had no jurisdiction in a case of "assault," inasmuch as it had arisen through a dispute as to property. In this case, if the defendant was entitled to the possession of the property, he was perfectly justified in what he had done. The case might have a different complexion if he had interfered with the plaintiff's goods by any manual action. What he did was simply to take off the roof of his own house. It was by the wind that any damage to the plaintiffs goods was done.

The Magistrate preferred to hear the case out and reserve the point raised. It was quite possible that a person might be exercising rights over his own property, but it was possible that he might also do so in such a way as to involve himself in an action for damages. Granting that the defendant had the title, there might still be a cause of action as to the manner in which he had exercised, that right. It was rather a nice point. 

John Walker, storeman with Mr M'Farlane, was called by the plaintiff, and said that he saw some of the calico taken off, and some negatives broken. M'Cole might have had a nobbier or two, but he was not far out of the way."

Mr Tyler raised another objection that the plaintiff had given no proper proof of any damage done. It was not shown whether the articles were of any value at all.

The Magistrate said he must hold that any manufactured article must be worth something, if only a 6d.

Mr Tyler contended that, in any case, there was nothing to warrant more than nominal damages and he spoke at length upon that point and up on the point with regard to the jurisdiction of the Court.

The Magistrate reserved his decision until next Court-day (Friday), it being necessary for him, in the interval, to hold a Court at Charleston.

Westport Times, Volume III, Issue 527, 8 July 1869, Page 2

The Rights of Property.
In the civil case of De Loree v. M'Cole, in which Mr Tyler appeared for the defendant, the Magistrate gave judgment. The plaintiff sued the defendant for damages caused by his removing the roof of a house in which the plaintiff was, in consequence of which his property was destroyed. The damage was proved to be, to a certain extent, the result of his action. The only question was as to the jurisdiction of the Court. It was contended that there was a question of title. He had considered the question, and was still of the same opinion as he had been at the close of the case on the previous day. There was no question of title involved. The defendant may have been entitled to possession, and to exercise acts of ownership, but it did not follow that he might exercise acts of ownership in such a way as to injure the plaintiff's property. He considered that the defendant's conduct was unreasonable, violent, and malicious besides, and that the plaintiff had a right of action against him. With respect to the amount of damage done, it could not be considered to have been satisfactorily proved, but he would give the plaintiff a verdict for damages to the amount of £3 and costs.

Westport Times, Volume III, Issue 528, 10 July 1869, Page 2


Westport Times, Volume III, Issue 562, 2 October 1869, Page 3

De Loree v. M'Coll. - The defendant, who was summoned to show why he should not satisfy a judgment against him for damages done by him to the plaintiff's property at the Caledonian Terrace, promised to pay at the rate of 7s per week. The plaintiff accepted this, and said he would pay the same into the funds of the Hospital.
Westport Times, Volume III, Issue 564, 7 October 1869, Page 2

 West Coast Times, Issue 1539, 2 September 1870, Page 3

Two destitute children - a boy and girl - aged seven to eight years, belonging to a man, named De Loree, were taken in charge by the police yesterday. The boy, we believe, has been without shelter for some time, sleeping under houses at night, and obtaining a bare subsistence in the best manner he could, while the girl has been subjected to the crudest treatment by an unworthy step-mother. We understand that De Loree, who is supposed to have proceeded south, will be communicated with, and, if necessary, steps taken to enforce from him suitable provision for the maintenance of the children referred to.
Westport Times, Volume V, Issue 775, 11 February 1871, Page 2

... The Registrar then called upon the prisoner to say why the sentence of the Court should not be passed upon him. He said that he had been twenty-three years [1848] in the colonies and had never been through the Insolvent Court only twice had he been summoned for debt. He had always acted honorably to everyone. He had had the misfortune eight years ago [1863] to lose his wife, who had left five small children. He had married again, but his wife had turned out a drunkard, and his family had drifted into destitution. Just before the commission of the robbery he had received a letter from Westport stating that his children were starving, and his eldest boy was begging in the streets. (Here the prisoner burst into a fit of sobbing, which prevented his speaking for some time.) He had been travelling with his two daughters performing, and at the time he received the letter, both his daughters were out of situations, and he had himself but 3s 6d in his pocket. Under this pressure, and for the sake of his family he had committed the offence. He trusted His Honor would take into consideration the time he had been in gaol, and that he had voluntarily occupied himself in mending and making clothes for the prisoners. His Honor said he would consider the matter, and pass sentence on the following day.  The prisoner was then removed.
West Coast Times, Issue 1857, 12 September 1871, Page 2

A woman named De Loree died very suddenly on Wednesday night last. Her husband is a well known man on the Coast, and was formerly a professor of the small sword, &c.
Grey River Argus, Volume XII, Issue 1277, Monday 2 September 1872, Page 2

New Zealand
to about 1892

A Brave Frenchwoman.
An Interesting Letter. The publication in the Canterbury Times of a notice of M. Alesson's pamphlet on "Women who have been Decorated with the Legion of Honour," has revealed the unexpected and interesting fact that a descendant of one of these brave women is living in Canterbury. This is Mr P. de Loree, of Oxford, who sends us the following interesting letter;-

Sir, I feel very proud to be able to say that, one of the ladies mentioned in M. Alesson's pamphlet entitled, Les Femmes decorees de la Legion d'Honneur," Marie Josephine Schelling, was my grandmother. With your kind permission I will give an account of her career, as far as I know it.- Marie Schelling was her maiden name. She was born at Ghent, Belgium, in 1756, and was married to my grandfather Paul de Saeger. She had an only child, who was my mother. My grandmother entered the French army at the age of forty-one, my mother being then a young woman. The reason why she joined the army I do not know but she went as a private soldier in 1797, shortly after the French had taken Belgium from the Austrians. She was severely wounded at the battle of Jemmapes, and was for some time at Boulogne, in the army which expected to embark to make a descent upon England.

In 1805 she was at the battle of Austerlitz, called the battle of the three Emperors, where she was wounded again. In 1806 she was slightly wounded at the battle of Jena, and for some brave action was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. She fought at Friedland, Eylau and Wagram. In this last-named battle my grandmother was very badly wounded, a musket ball entering her leg just above the knee. She was carried from the battlefield to the hospital, where, in extracting the bullet, the doctors found that she was a woman. She told them that she had been eleven years in the French army, and related the battles she had fought, and how often she had been wounded. A report was sent to headquarters, and the Emperor Napoleon came to the hospital to see her. To him she related her military career while he sat on her bed. He called her a most wonderfully brave woman, took the cross of the Legion of Honour from his own breast and pinned in on her, remarking that no one had ever deserved it more. He settled a pension, of 700 francs a year on her for life. When my grandmother left the hospital she went to Paris to appear before the Empress Josephine, who wanted to see this brave woman. At Court she received a great number of presents, among them a silk-velvet dress out of the wardrobe of the Empress. I may here remark that it was on account of this that my grandmother adopted the name of Josephine. She set great value upon, the dress, and used to wear it on all great occasions, with, the red ribbon of the Legion of Honour pinned to it. After she left the army, she went back to Belgium, lived for some years at Courtray, and afterwards at the town of Meenen in West Flanders, where she died on Sept. 1, 1840, at the ripe age of eighty four.

I have often heard my brother describe her. She had very, large brown eyes, large straight nose, and a slight black moustache; she was tall, and had altogether a masculine appearance. She was a lacemaker by trade, and when she was eighty years old, she used to sit making lace on her cushion. My mother, the daughter of Marie Schelling, died on May 4, 1829, in her accouchement, my father being left with six children. I was the youngest but one, and was then seven years old. One of my brothers and a sister went to live with my grandmother. I was eighteen years old when she died, and when I came of age in 1843 I received a notice from the "State House" that the balance of my grandmother's pension was due, and we all received, eighty-three francs apiece. You see I come from a regular military stock. My grandmother was eleven years a soldier. My father was in the grand army of the great Napoleon and was one of the few who came back from the disastrous campaign in Russia. He must have had a charmed life, for though he fought in innumerable battles he was never wounded. My father and most of the old soldiers used to carry a small cast iron statuette of Napoleon, about three inches high, in their waistcoat pocket, for everyone of them loved the Emperor."

The writer of the above letter has had a somewhat eventful life. He came to Australia in 1848, was a resident of Ballarat at the time of the famous riots, and kept a fencing school. He won several prizes by his skill as a swordsman, both in Australia and New Zealand, and considers that, though old, he is still entitled to style himself "champion swordsman."

Star, Issue 6477, 21 February 1889, Page 1 

Enlarged Photographs. Our worthy and respected photographer, Mr P. DeLoree has some excellently finished enlarged Photo. Portraits of well known residents in Oxford. They are superior to anything we have seen, and we venture to say, not to be equalled in Christchurch. The price he charges for Portrait framed and mounted, is only £2, which is about half the price charged in town for work of equal merit.
Oxford Observer, Volume 2, Issue 77, 21 March 1891, Page 2

Our Professor on Tour.
Our professor, who has been touring around the various districts with his Panorama, "Darkest Africa," for the last month or so, has indeed had a splendid time of it. At mostly all the places, crushed houses was the order of the day. At Waiau, as soon as the floors were thrown open, the people came pouring in, so that long before the appointed time for starting, the hall was crowded to its utmost capacity. As soon as the professor appeared on the stage, he was greeted with a round of applause, and when the first picture, shewing Stanley and his men, was exhibited, the audience in various ways showed their appreciation. 

An illustration from "In Darkest Africa" by Henry M. Stanley, Published 1891.

The professor in a very racy manner described the perilous adventures and daring conflicts these noble band of heroes had to undergo before their mission was accomplished. The view showing the meeting of Stanley with Emin Pasha brought forth a burst of applause. 

An illustration from "In Darkest Africa" by Henry M. Stanley, Published 1891.

Passing onwards, he showed then the dangers that had to be encountered on the march backwards, by the various tribes which had to be met with on the way. After keeping his audience spellbound for fully a couple of hours, the entertainment was concluded by a Temperance Lecture, entitled, "The Bottle." Numerous laughable illustrations were shown, showing the uses and abuses of that piece of ware.

The next place of call was Rotheram, and his fame as a lecturer having gone before him, another large house was the result. Here again, his views were spoken very favourably of. A visit was paid to Clarkville, but the weather being of a threatening nature no doubt debarred many from putting in an appearance. However, the hall was pretty fairly filled, and the interest the audience manifested, counterbalanced any other drawback. After the lecture on the uses and abuses of the bottle had been finished, a lady approached our professor and told him that it was the best evenings enjoyment, she had spent for many a year.

The next shopping place was Hurunui. Passing along the street, the all absorbing question was, "Are you going to the Panorama," Of course I am," was the invariable answer. This seemed a good omen, and which did not belie, for as soon as the doors were open, the doorkeepers
had their work cut out for them. It was soon found that the hall was not nearly large enough to hold the vast concourse of people who had assembled to gain admission. Prompt to time, our professor appeared before the curtain and such a reception he received cannot be forgotten. With right good will he started to his work, and the applause that was accorded him during the lecture was very flattering indeed. Medbury was the last on the present tour, which received a visit. Here again the entertainment was well received.

The above must be very flattering to Mr DeLoree, and why should it not be after the great pains he has taken, and the expense which has been incurred to procure nothing but the best plates, and show everything on a first-class scale, it is no more than he deserves. The entertainment his proved a success in various ways. Not only does it pass a pleasant evening, but it is also food for the mind. The views are so judiciously chosen, and the lecturer explains them in such an explicit manner that a person is completely carried away, and is able to follow the march from beginning to end. 

People here will remember Mr DeLoree exhibiting his Panorama in Oxford some time ago. Since then, he has added a large quantity of views. We all know how much the panorama was appreciated then, so with the additional views and a more fluent lecture, a great treat is in store when our worthy professor pays us a visit again about Christmas time in the Oddfellows' Hall, West Oxford.

Oxford Observer, Volume 3, Issue 201, 10 October 1891, Page 3

Mr Stanley.— Mr P. De Loree, of Oxford, has completed a very fine series of pictures for lime light illustrations from Mr Stanley's book of "In Darkest Africa." Whilst Mr Stanley was in Christchurch he inspected the pictures, and expressed his high appreciation of them. Mr De Loree has also received letters both from Mr and Mrs Stanley, speaking in the highest terms of the faithful manner in which the pictures hare been reproduced, and sending him a photograph of Mr Stanley, one of the latest he has taken. This together with the letters has been photographed by Mr De Loree, and he intends exhibiting them together with the whole of the series when he gives a lecture here shortly on Stanley and his work. The whole entertainment should be of a very interesting character.
Press, Volume XLIX, Issue 8099, 16 February 1892, Page 4 

An illustration from "In Darkest Africa" by Henry M. Stanley, Published 1891.

 Oxford Observer, Volume 3, Issue 130, 20 February 1892, Page 2

Oxford Observer, Volume 4, Issue 170, 12 November 1892, Page 2


"3 Paget girls"
 It is believed that the persons photographed in the four following cartes de visite belong to the same family.



above cdv courtesy of Laurence Eagle

above cdv courtesy of Laurence Eagle
above cabinet card courtesy of Laurence Eagle

Oxford's first photographer, with an establishment on Main Street.
Oxford East 1883/4
Rangiora 1885/6
Auckland City Libraries

De Loree, P. P., and Son, Photographers, travelling through New Zealand. Mr. De Loree is a native of Belgium. He left there in 1844 for London, from whence, in 1848, he sailed for Victoria. He arrived in Otago in 1861. 

He is a grandson of Marie Schelling, who, impersonating a French soldier, fought for eleven years in the Grand Army of Napoleon, and was, on the discovery of her sex, decorated with the Legion of Honour by the Emperor's own hand. Messrs. De Loree and Son take with them a complete portrait and landscape plant and a moveable studio. Their pictures shew a quality truly surprising. The specialties of the firm are slides for lime-light views. Besides selling these in large numbers, the firm carries the appliances for their exhibition. Mr. De Loree is seventy-three years of age, and he himself delivers the lectures. This interesting business firm is now engaged in the southern portion of the North Island, having already covered a good extent of the Colony.
The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District] 1897, Wellington

September 24. — In one of your Christchurch contemporaries of September 5 (sic), the death is announced of Mr P. De Loree, while playing a game of draughts m the Kumara Public Hall. He was playing for Mangatainoka against Mr Gain, of Kumara, when he died. 

Mr De Loree was a resident of Wetherstones in the sixties, being owner of the Ballarat Hotel. He was married twice, and had three children, two girls and a boy, by his first wife, who died while in the hotel, and was buried at Lawrence. His second wife died on the West Coast without issue. Mrs P. Duffy, sister of the first Mrs De Loree, is living at Tuapeka West. 

When Mr De Loree sold out of the hotel he took up some land at Wetherstones (now owned by Mr J. Pearson), and built a house on it. He was the first to bring a cab into the district, running it between Lawrence and Wetherstones. Some time afterwards he sold out both land and cab, and went to the West Coast. He was a good swordsman and draughts player. There are some old miners of that time here yet who fancied themselves draughts players, but they had no chance with him. He and his son were around this way a few years ago with a magic lantern entertainment, and he was quite affected at the decadence of Wetherstones. He was 79 years of age when he died. 
Otago Witness, Issue 2428, 26 September 1900, Page 33

Hawera & Normanby Star, Volume XXXXI, Issue 70422, 24 August 1900, Page 2

Inspector O'Brien has received a telegram from Sergeant Haddrell, of Dannevirke, reporting that a man named Thomas de Lornie (sic), of Mangatainoka, aged 79, died suddenly, whilst in a fit, at Kumeroa last night. An inquest was to be held to-day.
Daily Telegraph (Hawke’s Bay), Issue 9849, 24 August 1900, Page 4 

Sudden.—A man named Thomas de Lornie (sic), of Mangatainoka, aged 79, died suddenly, whilst in a fit, at Kumaroa [Kumeroa near Woodville] last night. An inquest was to be held to-day. 
Manawatu Standard, Volume XXXVIII, Issue 6782, 27 August 1900, Page 2


Peter De Loree married Sarah Farrer or Farrar etc. on 21 June 1853 by the Rev. William Miller of the Free Presbyterian Church, Melbourne, witnessed by Ann Bolton and Marc Le Lihin*[or Le Lihen/Le Sihen etc?] of Melbourne.

Her sister Elizabeth Ferrer, married James Cochrane in Ballarat in 1859, following his death she married Patrick Duffy, they later lived at Wetherstones and Tuapeka West.

* probably the Marc Le Behien who hung himself at Ballarat on 27 October 1856 - The Star (Ballarat). Tuesday 28 October 1856 page 2. 

 Sarah De Loree died on 8 May 1864 at her residence Wetherstones, Otago.

Otago Daily Times, Issue 754, 18 May 1864, Page 4

Peter De Loree then married Anne Weeks "Annie" on 4 August 1864 (registered
1864/5333), the marriage occurring about 11 weeks after the death of his former wife. She died on 28 August 1872 aged 29 years (reg. 1872/9642).

He died on 23 August 1900 at Kumeroa near Woodville aged 78 years (reg. 1900/4365) and was buried on 26 August 1900 at Mangatainoka Pahiatua Cemetery.


1. Mary Josephine De Loree born 1854, Eureka, Victoria, Australia, reg. 1854/276 [as 
Delarie] died 7 December 1890 Cape Foulwind, West Coast, New Zealand, buried Orowaiti Old Cemetery, Westport, plot 102, married 5 February 1877, reg. 1877/414 to Robert Pollock
1a. Robert George Pollock born 1878, reg. 1878/4819, died 5 January 1923 Grey River Hospital 
1b. William James Pollock born 1881, reg. 1881/3878      
1c. Mary Elizabeth Pollock 1883/17724  (Mrs John Reedy of Westport)   

Westport December 8
Early yesterday morning Mary Josephine Pollock poisoned herself at Cape Foulwind by taking "Rough-on-rats." She was a married women, living apart from her husband.

North Otago Times, Volume XXXIV, Issue 7747, 9 December 1890, Page 2

2. Francis Thomas De Loree born 1855 Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, reg. no 10646, died 1859 Ballarat, reg. no. 5971 age 4 years.

3. Sarah Jane De Loree born 1857 Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, reg. no. 5949, died 4 December 1879 Oxford, Canterbury, New Zealand aged 22 years, reg. 1879/4931 as Sarah Jane Delorie, [Star, Issue 3637, 6 December 1879]

3a. Peter Augustus De Loree born 4 June 1877 Kumara, died 3 March 1939 Auckland, married 27 March 1905 Palmerston North, Sarah Sophia Hambrook (or Sarah Annie Hambrook), reg. 1905/5821
      Myra Sophia Josephine De Loree born 2 January 1906 Takaka, married 
Stanley Selwyn August, reg. 1924/4747
      Rene Augustus De Loree born 16 July or August 1907 Hukanui, died 1985
      Julia Hazel De Loree born 2 May 1909 Hukanui, died 1929
      Peter De Loree born 1911     

      Evelyn Cynthia Jean De Loree born 10 February 1914 Taihape

 4. Johanna Christina De Loree born 1859 Ballarat East, Victoria, Australia, reg. no. 19060, died 1860, reg. 5346, buried Old Cemetery, Ballarat (as Johanna Christina Deloru)

 5. Elizabeth Sophia De Loree born 24 April 1861 at the Blue Jacket Hotel, Ballarat, Australia, [On the 5th instant, at her residence, Blue Jacket Hotel, Mrs De Loree, of a daughter - The Star, Ballarat 24 April 1861, page 2] died 5 June 1878 at the Ship Hotel, Westport, New Zealand, reg. 1878/33 aged 17 years, buried p
lot 19, Orowaiti Old Cemetery, Westport.

6. Francis William De Loree, photographer, born circa 1863 [New Zealand?], died 10 November 1902 at Palmerston North aged 39 years, reg. 1902/7023, buried Terrace End Cemetery, Palmerston North, block 056, plot 047.

Death. DeLoree — On the 10th inst., at the residence of his sister (Mrs Wallace) (sic) Main street, Francis William DeLoree, late of Mangatainoko, aged 39 years [1863]. Manawatu Times, Issue 7581, 11 November 1902, Page 2

7. Catherine Josephine De Loree born circa 1864 New Zealand, died 5 May 1927 Ewart Hospital, Wellington, reg. 1927/4045 aged 62 years, buried Karori Cemetery, Wellington, section Public 2, plot 123 X, married 4 June 1890, reg. 1890/1254 [as De Lorce] Robert Wallis, photographer, born Tamworth, England, died 18 June 1939 Christchurch aged 71 years, buried Bromley Cemetery, Christchurch, block 15, plot 450.

8. others ?

1. William De Loree born circa 1884, died 1884, reg. reg. 1884/2856 aged 10 months

Resident Magistrate's Court
Mrs Pollard [Pollock] applied for an order for a boy named Peter De Lore, 5 years of age, to be sent to St. Mary's Industrial School. The applicant, stated that the boy was the illegitimate son of her sister who had recently died at Christchurch, and it was not known where his father was. She herself was on her way to join her husband at Westport who objected to take charge of the child. The order was granted, the boy to be kept at the school until reaching the age of 15 years.

Nelson Evening Mail, Volume XVIII, Issue 56, 7 March 1883, Page 2

Obituary. I am sorry to have to record the death of the oldest female resident of the district, Mrs P. Duffy, who died here last Sunday morning, aged 74 years. Mrs Duffy came to Wetherstones in the early sixties, and resided there for several years, until she removed to this place [Tuapeka West], about 35 years ago, and has resided here ever since. She will be long remembered by both old and young for her kind, agreeable, and social habits. She had kind word for everybody with whom she was brought in contact. She had been in failing health for several years, but was only confined to her bed for a few weeks. She leaves her husband and two sons to mourn their loss. The funeral took place on Monday last, when a number of the residents followed her remains to the Lawrence Cemetery, the Rev. Father O'Leary officiating at the grave.
Otago Witness, Issue 2585, 30 September 1903, Page 35

[Wetherstones Correspondent.]
In last Saturday's issue of the Tuapeka Times a note there states that Mrs Elizabeth Duffy, who died the other week, was one of the first settlers at Tuapeka Mouth. I never heard of Mrs Duffy residing there, but in the sixties of last century she resided some years in Wetherstones with her first husband, whose name was Cochrane and who died there. Her two sons were born in Wetherstones. Her sister was married to De Louie, who owned the Ballarat Hotel in the same street in Wetherstones, and her brother (old Jack Farrer) was well known - I think they belonged to County Wicklow, Ireland, De Louie was a Frenchman, and an expert swordsman and was well known in the district. I think his name was Adolph Louie. He was the first that took up that paddock now owned by Mr John Pearson, and, I think, he was the first to introduce a cab into Lawrence and which plied between there and Wetherstones and was well patronised in those days, the cab being driven by his brother-in-law, Jack Farrer.

De Louie was in Wetherstones with his son as a travelling photographer for some years, and he cried when he saw the downcome of Wetherstones and the dilapidated condition the place was in. The last I heard of Jack Farrer was that he and his mate were going north for the harvest by sea. That was before the days of through trains. Jack asked one of the seamen of the steamboat when the 7 o'clock boat left. The sailor, who was a German, did not understand the Irish way Jack asked the question and thought he was taking "a rise" out of him. He jumped on the wharf and showed fight to Jack and only that the latter's mate intervened and told the sailor what Jack meant there would probably be a row. The above is a bit of ancient history and was suggested to me through noticing the death of Mrs Duffy and remembering the fact that she was known in Wetherstones long before she saw Tuapeka Mouth.

Tuapeka Times, Volume XXXVI, Issue 5101, 30 September 1903

No comments: