William Andrews Collis
Messrs. Williamson and Co.'s Photographic Views of the Province.— We inspected yesterday afternoon, at Messrs. Williamson and Co.'s photographic studio, a number of beautiful views taken recently in various parts of the Province. They are "plate" size, being ten inches by twelve inches. The views were taken by Mr. W. A. Collis, and are very excellent specimens of photographic art, comprising scenes at the Waitara, Urenui, and Pukearuhe. "A Bush Scene," taken from a gully at the back of the A.C. Camp, looking south-east, is really a very beautiful picture, and another looking to the north-east is equally effectively taken. The views at Pukearuhe also comprises the following scenes:-
"View of the A.C. Camp from the Sea,"
"View of the Camp from northeast side, showing the Cliffs,"
"View of the Camp from the Slaughter-house,"
"View of the Cliffs from the Sands."
At Urenui we see
"View of the Redoubt and Magazine" showing also several of the settlers' houses there;
"A View of the Township and north side of the River," and
"A View of the Urenui Bridge."
Mr W. A. Collis has forwarded to us some specimens of his Christmas photograph cards, which are very artistically got up. The chief feature in the cards this year is the Jubilee gathering in the centre of the town in March last, although, of course considerably reduced, the figures are very distinct. The border of flowers around the picture is pretty, and adds to the attractiveness of the cards. Mr Collis has also views of a waterfall on the Waiwakaiho some of which have been artistically coloured by Miss E. Collis, and form a very pretty picture. On one of the boughs of a tree are the words "Compliments of the Season." There should be a large demand for these cards.
Councillor William Andrews Collis was born in Fiji, South Sea Islands, in 1853, but arrived in Auckland at an early age, and was educated at Wesley College. The family settled in New Plymouth in 1872, and the subject of this sketch was brought up as a photographer with Mr. Hartley Webster. After some time he became manager of Messrs Williamson and Company's business, and commenced on his own account, in Brougham Street, in the year 1875. Mr. Collis was elected to the Borough Council, in 1889, for West Ward, but he has latterly represented Central Ward. He is a representative of the Council on the Board which controls the Recreation Grounds, and is the New Plymouth member of the Egmont National Park Board. Mr. Collis is chairman of the North Egmont Committee, in connection with the Park, and is secretary and treasurer of the local Scenery Preservation Society, the parent society of its kind in New Zealand. He has also been for several years chairman of the New Plymouth school committee. As a Forester, Mr. Collis is a trusted of Court Waireka, Ancient Order of Foresters; and he acts as trustee and secretary of three trusts in connection with the Wesleyan Methodist Church in New Plymouth. He was married, in 1877, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. R. King, of New Plymouth, and has two sons and four daughters. Mr. Collis is further referred to in connection with his business as a photographer.
Collis, William Andrews, Photographer, Devon Street, New Plymouth. Mr. Collis began business in Brougham Street, in 1875, but in 1882 he built his studio in Devon Street. The building is of wood and iron, and two stories in height; it has a studio, waiting and dressing rooms on the upper floor; and the offices and work rooms are on the ground floor. Mr. Collis undertakes all kinds of photography, including landscape and portraiture. He is further referred to as a member of the New Plymouth Borough Council.
Victoria University of Wellington