Timaru - 1871 to 1872
succeeded in Timaru by Thomas Edward PriceTimaru Herald, Volume XLIII, Issue 3536, 28 January 1886, Page 3
... Adjoining Messrs Hibbard and Cowan's store, to fill up the remainder of his frontage intervening between the south wall of the new store and Captain Cain's buildings, Mr Munro has also had erected another building, the dimensions of which are — frontage, 22ft.; depth, 40ft.; height; 22ft. The building is of brick, and is of two storeys; the lower floor is to be a stationer's shop, and will be occupied by Mr T. G. Cork; the upper storey is a photographic studio, and will be occupied by Mr Fred. Smith, of the Edinburgh Portrait Gallery. The stationer's shop is 24ft. x 20ft., with a sitting-room or office in the rear measuring 20ft. x 12ft. The studio which occupies the upper part of the building measures 24ft. x 15ft., and is fitted with glass roof and front. Attached to it is a dark room 12ft. x 8ft., an entrance lobby, and reception and working rooms in rear; everything being very convenient. The exterior aspect of the building is very neat and substantial in appearance, and the whole work (including Messrs Hibbard and Cowan's store) appears to have been carefully executed. Mr West was the architect, and Mr P. B. McRae the contractor.
Timaru Herald, Volume XV, Issue 637, 5 July 1871, Page 4