Tuttle & Co.


Tuttle & Co.

Elite Studios
248 Queen Street, Auckland and Sydney

also Melbourne

William Nutting Tuttle
died 7 April 1895 at Sydney Hospital, Macquarie Street, Sydney [1]
buried Waverley Cemetery, Sydney [2]


and Ernest Eden George


The premises of Mr. Easdown, baker and confectioner, Queen-street, are now in process of being almost entirely rebuilt. They have been leased by Messrs. Tuttle and Co., of Sydney, the well-known photographers, who intend converting them into first-class photographic premises. The ground floor will be paved with encaustic tiles, and the side walls fitted up with a display of specimen photographs. From this apartment will spring a handsome staircase to the first floor, which will be subdivided into show and dressing-rooms. The gallery will be an entirely new erection at the rear of the present buildings, and running back to Lorne-street, with an unobstructed side light. Mr. Reid is the contractor for the alterations, which will cost about £600. Messrs. Tuttle and Co. expect to open the new premises in two months' time from present date.
New Zealand Herald, Volume XXII, Issue 7286, 26 March 1885, Page 4
 

Tuttle and Co.'s Photograph Studio.
by Voice-Hawkins.

The enterprising gentlemen comprising the firm of Tuttle & Co. took the people of Melbourne by surprise some five years ago. Since then they have established studios and galleries in the principal cities of Australia. By careful attention to, and despatch of business, the elegance and attractiveness of their rooms, and the splendid finish of their work, they have earned a wide-spread reputation on the island continent, and lead the van there in the photographic art.




The studio and gallery in Upper Queen street has been completed under the supervision of Mr George (one of the leading partners of the firm), and beneath his eye the elegantly-decorated vestibule, waiting and operating rooms, have been perfected, and now command the admiration of their numerous patrons.

The entrance to these handsome premises is by the whole width of a richly-decorated vestibule, immediately on a level with and facing the footway. The floor is tessellated, after a neat design in bright-coloured encaustic tiles, and the walls are ornate with rows of elegantly-mounted show cards, containing specimen photographs of colonial and other celebrities, including many frames of well known Auckland people, in different styles.

From the vestibule you ascend by a broad staircase to suites of waiting and dressing rooms, and the operating rooms above.

The general waiting and ladies' dressing rooms are very elegantly furnished and decorated. Brussels carpets cover the floors, while expensive metal papers line the walls. The ceilings are pricked out in neutral tints, and the mirrors, lounges, and furniture are of the latest aesthetic and English art design. The retiring rooms are fitted with lavatories and every requisite convenience. Exhibited on an easel is a coloured photograph on porcelain of Miss Maggie Knight; chef d'ouvre, a work of fine art, the artist being an Auckland lady of whom the firm are justly proud.





The operating room is a capacious apartment, about 50 feet by 20; the walls and ceiling are painted in very bright colours. A great portion of the roof is of glass, and the blinds are so managed that any shade of light may be obtained. The camera is one of the latest American patents, and is fitted with a lens by 'Dalmeyer,' the best known maker in the world. This room, besides being supplied with all the various and numerous accessories of an operator's requirements, is furnished with some of the choicest works of art in backgrounds procurable in America, and specially painted for this studio. Attached to this department is a dark room — chemical, enlarging, and copying room.

Mr Henderson, the skilful operator who has charge of this department, is from the well-known house of Bradley and Rulufson, of New York, where he was chief operator; while the firm is at the head of their profession. This gentleman is well supported by a staff of twelve skilled assistants, including artistes from Europe and America.

You now proceed by a flight of stairs to the ground floor, where is the laboratory, and which is immediately at the rear of the vestibule. This is a large, roomy chamber, and is provided with every convenience for the use of the workshop, as well as for the comfort of the employees. In this room the printing, enamelling, and retouching work is executed. There are long shallow wooden contrivances where the chemical matter is washed off the prints, shelving for storing negatives, racks, and all sorts of paraphernalia for the expeditious working of the business. There is a stove in this laboratory which conveys by means of pipes an equable heat all through the rooms during the cold winter weather.

The firm have already made a great impression on the Auckland people by the splendid finish of their photography, and have undoubtedly a prosperous career before them in New Zealand.
Observer, Volume 7, Issue 344, 11 July 1885, Page 22




The subject of the above sketch is the well-known resident partner in Auckland of the firm of Tuttle & Co., whose establishment we had the pleasure of describing in a late issue. Mr George has devoted the whole of his life to the study of photography. Visitors from Canterbury will no doubt be familiar with the name of George and Walton, photographers, of Christchurch, with which firm Mr George is also connected. As Mr George has married a young and charming New Zealand lady, and taken up a permanent residence in Auckland, he may no doubt in time undertake a prominent part in the affairs of this city.
Observer, Volume 7, Issue 347, 1 August 1885, Page 11



Auckland Star, Volume XXVI, Issue 189, 18 August 1885, Page 3

By announcement in another column we observe that a change has occurred in the firm of Tuttle and Co., photographers, by the retirement of Mr E. E. George, who has only been a member of the firm for about a year. The business at 248, Queen street will be carried on by the original firm, and one of the partners, Miss Florence Tuttle, intends coming here from Sydney to assume the control of the Auckland branch.
Auckland Star, Volume XXVI, Issue 188, 17 August 1885, Page 2


A number of beautiful photographs of Wairoa (after the eruption), the Tikitapu Bush, and other places of interest in connection with the recent volcanic disturbances have recently been taken by Mr A. L. Hawkins, of Tuttle & Co.'s, and Mr John R. Simpson, of the (Auckland) Star staff. They will form interesting mementoes of one of the greatest catastrophes of modern times. It is expected they will be ready for sale on Saturday.
Auckland Star, Volume XVII, Issue 138, 15 June 1886, Page 3


Evening Post, Volume XXXIV, Issue 125, 24 November 1887, Page 3


About November 1887 W. R. Robinson took over the management of the studio. Refer Auckland Star, Volume XVIII, Issue 279, 26 November 1887, Page 4


A Phine Photographic Phellow.
Friend C. H. Clemens, the famous, fortunate and favourite fellow, furnisher of fine photographs; the friend of the friendless, the friend to all. Not a falsefaced, fribbling and futile friend, but a firmly fixed, faithful, fraternal, and fatherly photographic friend. This famous photographer feels fully and firmly fixed in fancy, face, form and feature for following faithfully, fearlessly, frankly and fondly his favourite occupation for fifty future years, should fortune favour, friends forsake not, energy fail not and death foreclose not. This philanthropic photographer finds himself not 'fat, fair and forty,' but hale, strong and young — as fleet of foot, fresh in face, frank and free and fully fitted for furnishing faultless photographs as ever. He selects such lenses, apparatus and chemicals as will produce fascinating and faithful photographs with fleetness and facility; not showing the subject as flat-faced and forbidding, ill favoured and ill formed, false-hearted and fretful, freckled and frowsy, flippant, foolish and flaunty, but fine-featured, finely-formed, free from freckles, fair, frank, frolicsome and full of fun. Everyone should visit Tuttle's Studio.
Observer, Volume XI, Issue 687, 27 February 1892, Page 9







Charles Henry Manning, the Christchurch photographer worked for Tuttle & Co. in Sydney.



Eden George the Christchurch photographer was one of the partners of Tuttle & Co. :
GEORGE-BUTLER.On May 31 (1885) at St. Matthew's Church, by the Rev. W. Tebbs, M.A.. Ernest Eden George (of the firm of Tuttle and Co.) to Ada Butler, of Christchurch.
Auckland Star, Volume XXVI, Issue 122, 1 June 1885, Page 2.


Tuttle & Co
San Francisco Portrait Parlors
62 & 64 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne









brisphotoNov 13, 2011 02:08 AM
Hi Tony, the firm of George and Walton of Christchurch had connections with this business in that it was owned by Eden George and Henry John Walton. Walton was a business partner of Tuttle's in Australia and his brother Thomas James Walton bought Tuttle's Adelaide studio, running it as George and Walton there before it was bought back by Tuttle. I am currently trying to piece together the complicated Tuttle and Eden George stories on both sides of the Tasman. Cheers! Marcel


[1] The Sydney Morning Herald, 10 April 1895, page 1 
[2] The Sydney Morning Herald, 10 April 1895 page 10

No comments: